Friday, March 8, 2013

Dangerous driving, not going to happen again

Today was the 2nd day in a row of drill for Dean (the split training drill where he goes and sits in an office building). He was thankfully only there for half a day but because it was the second day he was SO wiped out that the brain wasn't hardly functioning. In the morning, I always try to assess whether he is awake and aware enough to drive before I let him out the door, but now I have a new danger to deal with regarding driving.

Dean passed a driver's test from the VA. I believe he passes because he drove a truck for 25 years and it's part of his long-term memory and that part of your memory that remembers how to ride a bike. I believe he can safely operate a car and he knows the laws/rules of the road, but there is more to think about and today I had that brought to my attention.

He's been choking a lot more often on his food lately so I reminded him this morning (silly me to think he'd remember) not to eat and drive at the same time!!!  He forgot that warning and went through a drive-thru after drill. He said he spilled most of his burger all over himself (which was his biggest concern) but he continued to say "I've been having tunnel vision and problems with my peripheral vision today, every time I tried to look at something other than right in front of me I swerved all over the place". Holy crap!!! I'm feeling really stupid for letting him drive today! I have to remember that he has bad judgement where he thinks he can do things he can't do or he doesn't think something will be a problem that IS a problem. 

What am I going to do? I mean, he does only drive to drill once a month at the most...some months I drive him. Driving to drill is the drive I worry about because it is 47 miles one way (a little over an hour) and that is a LONG time for him to sustain focus on anything. That is the only time during a month that his car gets driven if at all. The rest of his "little drives" are 5 blocks away to the Hardware Store to 6 blocks away to NAPA Auto Parts about once a week or the very periodic 2 mile drive to Safeway maybe 2 or 3 times a month. 

I think I'm just going to have to make it my focus to drive him to drill and just always offer to do it. I think he actually likes when I drive him but he doesn't want to "put me out" because it makes for a very long day for me (I spend 4 1/2 hours in the car between 6 am and 5 pm). This will just have to be one more thing that I "suck it up" and pretend with my best fake smile to really want to drive him! 

I can't wait for him to be out of the Guard!

No comments:

Post a Comment